Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
But if i were spending $1500 or more, the action wouldnt be wearing a name like Savage.
I would like to know why you feel this way. Most don't seem to understand that the remington 700 design was not picked by the military because its better, it was picked because in reality its cheaper to manufacture, and remington won the bid on price, not quality and certainly not accuracy. I cannot imagine building a custom rifle to brag about a name attached to it, or because its what everyone else does. I only see two reasons, MAX repeatable accuracy, and reliability. That said, savage has its shortcomings. I can rid a new savage rifle of these "shortcomings" for less money spent on any 700 type action and end up with a better rifle in every way for less money. The savage tier 1 receivers are far from the savage picked up at the local walmart for $400. That same $400 walmart savage will give you less trouble and shoot straighter than just about everything out there for 2x that price. The only down side to building on a savage action is lack of aftermarket support, and that has nothing to do with the rifle, and everything to do with marketing. Kinda like a ford guy arguing that his powerjoke is as good as a cummins AFTER putting work into it (bulletproofing) lol. So really, id love to know why you think savage is a "cool" factor and not a contender when out of the box it shoots straighter than a lot of custom rifles (talking on average)