Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
Robinhood, where did you find a penny that was made of copper? I haven't seen one years!

Cash was used a lot when my bride and I first got married. So as we collected pennies in the penny jar( an old Ozarka 5 gallon water bottle) from change, and after it got abut half full, we started rolling them up by year. I knew that copper had increased in value many years ago when they stopped making them as my dad was a small time coin collector. So we marked all the rolls and she eventually took all of the 1982 and newer ones down and got cash for them I haven't been able to get rid of those memories but I guessed this was as good of time to use them as any.

We used to see silver coins show up every now and then. Dimes and quarters mostly but that was a long time ago. My eye still catches an old copper penny if it lands in my hand. It is interesting to see the differences in the stamping. The old pennies had much deeper impressions and more pronounced lettering, edge and Lincolns bust too. I cleaned some up in my metal pin tumbler as I didn't think any were valuable. I got my glasses out and was amazed by the difference I had never taken time to see.