Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesatx823 View Post
Well....the main reason I want to switch the .270 to .338-06 or .35 Whelen is because I already have a
.30-06, and a 6.5x55, and don't need the .270. With the .338-06 & the .35 Whelen, you have a lot of "AUTHORITY" when you're hunting elk, black bear, and moose.
That's what I like about those cartridges. One shot and done, DRT.
Not so much with a .270 Win.

Hawk

I hear ya. Differing opinions out there of course. Hundreds of accounts & videos on YouTube of hunters taking big elk with 270. A good video talking about it, and funny enough, states how a bad shot with a 338 or 375 is still a bad shot. Where as a perfect shot with a 243 will put the elk down. That said, I’m a fan of more powerful for large game like elk. Though, by MORE power, I’m talking about a Magnum. I’m not a believer of “SHOCKING” the animal to death with Ft.Lbs. & the Hydrostatic SHOCK myth! I am, however, a believer in Sectional Density.

Id still say 338-06. Many more options of higher bc bullets. Not really big on so & so guy giving this or that story on his caliber choice. They ALL kill. Ballistic are the evidence we use. Not stories. Another thing, almost everyone I know that have taken elk, took fairly long range shots. A couple at 400yds+. The 35 Whelen loses steam real fast(for those who buy into the Energy “knock down” power thing). Just plug it into your ballistics calculator. The Whelen with 200gr Accubond against the 270 Winchester & 140gr Accubond, the 270 shaves off a THIRD of that energy deficit in the first 100yds. And then catches up & passes the 35 completely in energy by 500yds. Now I’m not using that to say it’s ok to take a 500yd shot with a 270.... Just that ballistics show the 35 Whelen only has a real energy edge for about 100yds or so.