[QUOTE=DTJager;490347]Very wise advice, sounds to me you've been to a match or two or a hundred.

DJ: I have been to a few matches. The most difficult for me to get a info handle on was BENCHREST. These guys were reluctant to share any info with a beginner. They had all the high grade equipment - jackets, wind flags, VERY expensive rifles, high price ammo and front rests that cost more than my rifle. My front rest was a scissor jack - I now have a grizzly!! It went down hill from there. The shooter next to me came in 1st most of the time and I put 4 rounds into his target and you'd have thought I shot holes in the Mona Lisa. Then I did it again with 2 more rounds!! My squad had about 7 shooters - me with a Savage, a shooter with a 10/22 and another with a Henry lever action. From a competitive standpoint the 3 of us were just wasting ammo. At another match I shot a 1175 out of 1200 and came in 6th out of 7 shooters. It just wasn't any fun and the match was 1 hours drive form my home - my range is 10 minutes from my home.

Your group sound like a great group to shoot with. - I'm envious.

When I'm preparing for a match I only practice with the weapon I'm going to use. Even when I'm just fooling around at the range, I might shoot another weapon but most times I don't. Preparing for a benchrest, I wouldn't even consider a 2nd rifle. I'm retired and probably a lot older than you so I have to stick with one thing at a time so I don't get confused.

Again, I have five 10 round mags, one 5 round mag that I use to warm up the barrel and a one round adapter. At the match I use the one round adapter. With 5 & 10 round mags I'd have a tendency to rush the shots. The benchrest matches I shoot in are not speed events - they're accuracy events.