My first and only axis looks like the reciever was carved out by a chain saw carver! The bolt wobbles down the reciever with a lot of side play. and instead of making long or short actions Savage put a spacer in the mag to hold short cases in the right place.
I'm sure Savage did this for the reason that they could assemble most any caliber on any reciever.
This is going to be fine was a hunting gun. I have cleaned up the trigger and replaced the heavy return spring. Taking out any friction points makes the trigger reliable at only half the pull weight. And I will replace the plastic stock with something laminated. This is going to be a gun I will hunt in heavy brush and in wet conditions. If the plastic stock was less flexible I would keep the plastic.
But if I were looking to make this a target rifle, I can think of a lot better actions to build off of. Start with something that was made with precise tolorances, That was made for a spacific family of catridges, and that has a good selection of after market accessorys!