Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
The pre-66 110 was, IMHO, manufactured to higher standards than later models, and to me, my 1985 110 doesn't hold a candle to my 1957, it is that much better.

Not to sidetrack Newtosavage's topic, but according to forum member MadDog, #71 is the oldest 110 in his registry, can see it here.
Very impressive rifle there. Thanks for posting that!

I had no idea I was getting the early "MC" version (monte carlo stock) when I bought that old rifle, but I'm sure glad I did. That stock puts my eye in a great position for the scope. If I had come across a non-MC version, I am certain I would have bought it too, and I would have set it up for iron sights, probably with a vintage rear peep, and enjoyed using it that way.

I imagine that as light as these early 110's are, a non-MC version with a steel butt plate fired with only iron sights would have been very "spirited" in a 30-06 indeed. Mine, even with the added weight of the MC stock and recoil pad, still weighs less than 7 1/2 lbs with the scope. So I suspect those early non-MC's with iron sights were in the 6 1/4 lb. range. Loaded with 180 grain '06 rounds, I'm sure those steel butt plates were responsible for more than one black and blue shoulder.