I can understand the frustration. I only have the two Savages, Axis HB in .223 and 12BVSS in .308 (heavy stainless). Both are newer mfg. Both have good streaks of copper in them after 20 rounds. BUT.....

The .223 doesn't seem to mind. It shoots 1/2MOA, even when the barrel is too hot to touch. I can let it go without cleaning for 200 rounds before groups start to open up. Then it becomes a 1MOA rifle. I also use KG12 and it only takes 1/2 hour or so to clean out the barrel and the copper. 10 rounds to 'settle' and it's back to 1/2MOA.

The .308 is not so forgiving. It likes to be clean and cool and it will shot 1/2MOA. But, after 30-40 rounds it will open up the groups. And if it gets hot (like being left out in the sun here in the desert SW) groups will open up. The nice thing is it shoots powder coated cast bullets fairly well (~1MOA). Now for the weird part. If I shoot cast after jacketed the cast bullets (with gas checks) will remove a lot of the copper!

The .308 has also been 'treated' to some Iosso bore paste to try to smooth it up a bit. The muzzle still shows tooling marks after several thousand rounds (about 1500 jacketed, 2000 cast). I've thought about lapping the barrel. Figure if I screwed it up it would just give me an excuse to buy a new barrel :)