Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
Well for once i'm going to somewhat agree with Mikey, at least as far as this post goes.
For most of what the OP wants to accomplish, the 308 would be a good choice, especially for the hunting part due to bullet selection.
Along with the 06, they have been being used for 1000 yd competition at places like Camp Perry for a very long time.
We use them for practice shooting at rocks at our camp even further than 1000 yds.
My grandson has a Savage model 10 FCP in 308 and i think its the most accurate factory rifle ive ever seen.
We dont shoot for groups, at all, ever, in fact i could actually care less about small groups.
Our interest lies in the rifle being able to repeat hits on the rocks we shoot at at the distances we hunt.
And most importantly, us not losing the target due to recoil, and scoring a second round hit if the first one fails, regardless as to how much.
Using the hammer is the issue, at least to a point, not the actual hammer itself.
I'm good with that. as long as we state that the 308 and the 30-06 are used at those ranges in competition because they are military cartridges. The only cartridge they are seen competing against successfully is the 223/556. If the 338 federal had been the GI cartridge it would be the one that was in competition.

My position was based on watching guys come to the firing line and get frustrated at their low "308" scores in F/TR. Guys like me, Mike, you and better than us know how to make it work. Give that same guy a 6.5 Creedmoor and he stays in the 10 ring(and X) at 600 yards with no problems. The 308 takes a skilled shooter reloader to shoot to 600 and +, a first time shooter with a little coaching is succesful right out of the gate. I wonder why that is?

Yobuck, how old is your grandson? :)