If I remember correctly, the first American Classic was introduced around 2005 when Savage Arms changed over to the center feed DBM. The first one I purchased had a luster blue finish verses the later matte blue and SS versions. The launch was when Savage Arms switch to the center feed DBM assembly. The American Classic stocks were mostly grade A walnut with some figure. The bottom parts were all metal. They had a black plastic forearm tip and a fairly thick “cookie cutter” factory finish. I always stripped off the factory finish and refinished with Tru-oil to bring out the true beauty of the walnut and make it easy to repair the dings and scratches that come with use. When stress-free bedded, Savage factory walnut/hardwood stocks will bring out all the accuracy potential of your rifle and mine alway shot sub MOA 3-shot groups with hand loads and the 22” factory sporter barrel. I’ve migrated to the Savage LWH model over the the past several years. Switch out the plastic bottom parts and the LWH walnut stock is just a lighter, more compact version of the American Classic stock.