Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
i disagree in that there are bbl makers and then there are artist, and the same of gunsmiths. all produce very good bbls and most are very good gunsmiths but only a hand full of each set records year in and year out.
the big picture in shooting is it is a SHOOTING SYSTEM.
the RIFLE must be capable of the task...purpose built for the game.
the AMMO must be crafted to extract all from the rifle at the ranges shot and targets size of the game.
the SHOOTER must have the basic skills to compete at the top level, typically called experience.
and excellent gunsmith cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear...and there are more sows ears than there are excellent bbls.

Nope! Has nothing to do with experience. You can shoot 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 50 years.... and you will STILL not be as good as the top shooters in the world. Shooting is a task like anything else. Looking at anything, shooting...sports... whatever. While constant & prolonged practice will make you VERY GOOD, you still will not be as good as someone who has the natural ability. Do you need the best equipment? Of course. I’m not one of these people who thinks a professional could take a 2nd hand Mosin Nagant and best an Amateur with a custom built rig... of course not. I’m talking level playing fields, no amount will of repetition will somehow give you that “natural” skill. As for disagreeing with the barrel making. What you say was true 100 years ago. Not anymore. I suggest you brush up on CNC.

Makes me think about people (with an ignorance) believe that “Knifesmiths” make a BETTER knife. Well yeah...to a point. An exceptional Knifesmith vs an amateur and both Forging blades. I’m a professional custom knife Maker...not a knifesmith. I am not an artist. I make truly high performance knives with modern high alloy tool steels, via stock removal. (I take a piece of steel and grind away everything that isn’t a knife) My knives don’t use pattern welded steel with Ebony Burl hardwood & such. Yet my blades will outperform ANY forged knife...PERIOD! Sorry it’s off topic. Just your comment reminded me of this. These are characteristics I’ve found many Gunsmiths & Knifesmiths to share. And I’m the first one TALKING about the BS they share!