Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
@Longranger, I'm not sure why folks are questioning you rather than helping.

I know Savage makes a 1:9 twist for the Axis 7-08 barrels. I'd assume the same twist rate is used on all currently manufactured Savage 7-08 barrels.

You're correct about 1:9 twist marginally stabilizing 175gr bullets. Here's a good calculator for figuring out ideal twist rate. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

If you want a factory rifle that needs no adjustment to stabilize 175gr bullets, buy the Ruger. I read good things about the accuracy of Ruger American rifles. I don't personally own one though.

If you want to start with a factory rifle and install an aftermarket barrel that will handle heavy 7mm bullets, then a Savage rifle is a good place to start. I'd suggest a different cartridge than 7-08 for 175gr and larger bullets though. The 7-08 can do it, but other cartridges can do it better. One example is the 284 Winchester and another is the .280 AI. The .280 AI requires a long action though.

I'm a big fan of 7mm bullets. I've shot and loaded most of the available 7mm bullets from 120gr to 197gr in calibers from the 7-30 Waters to the 7mm STW.

IMO, the sweet spot caliber for 175gr bullets is the 280 AI. I'm a recoil weenie so I like a good recoil pad and a muzzle brake for bullets larger than 150gr.

I apologise for being long winded. If none of this applies, then please disregard.
No that's great info, not long winded at all. I agree on the 175s being heavy for the caliber and there's a good chance I wouldn't even use them but I'd like to keep my options open. I punched in the specs for the 110gr Barnes into the calculator that you linked and they stabilize fine out of 8.5", so I don't understand the slow twist at all.
I'd like to stick with the 08 rather than 280 or 7 mag for commonality and the recoil, the idea is a sub 6 pound (without scope) rifle and itd be nice to have something pleasant to shoot.