Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
It’s been proving over and over again in controlled testing. There is no accuracy difference between 4140, 4150 and 416 material.

Think of this. If there truly was a difference then the 416 material wouldn’t be allowed on gov’t test barrels.

Besides the Gov’t.....commercial ammo and bullet makers have also tested the different material and they can find no difference.

Maybe and just maybe that way back when 416 started being used for barrels there was a difference in those first lots of material but as of right now I’ll say old wise tail. When I started shooting hi power rifle back in the late 80’s. A guy noticed I had a cm barrel on my service rifle. He comes up to me and says you want a ss barrel. I said really? Why? He said in 308win the barrel will go a 1k rounds longer barrel life wise. Guess what....no proof to it.

I won’t name the bullet/ammo maker but every time they burn out a 308win accuracy test barrel they send it back to me and I get exact round count data. In the last five barrels in no random order.....the barrels went....9k+ rounds, 11,280, 13k+, 12k+ and the last one went 14,560 rounds! Accuracy requirement was .5moa or better with the bullets being tested as that was the requirement. The vast majority of button barrels will never make that round count. Again those barrels where all 416R.
But i would agree machine techniques have improved to the point 4150 is getting very close

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk