Ridgerunner, The switch barrel is Savage's claim to fame. I own 3 small shank actions (all long actions like your 270) and 2 target actions. I have about a dozen barrels. Not only can you swap between barrels with a given boltface, you can swap the bolt heads to make it a 223 if you choose. I converted a long action (270 originally) into a 223 as starter gun for my 8 yr old deer hunt (small whitetails). Used it as a single shot with a follower. I swap barrels at the range know. You need a barrel nut wrench, an action wrench, and a go-gauge and your set.

To address your specific questions -

"First, when you switch barrels is there ever an issue with fitting the action back into a tightly pillar-bedded stock. I'm guessing that there won't really be any issues, but thought I'd ask someone with experience." ---- unless you are bedding the barrel and/or the barrel nut the different barrel has not impact on the bedding or placement in the stock.

"Second, if I develop a load for one barrel that is relatively close to the lands, would I have issues when i switch back to that barrel? I'm guessing that I'll have to stay off the lands a way's to avoid any pressure issues." ---- You can swap barrels on and off and get the headspace to reproduce with 0.001" pretty easily. Set the headspace to the point you want with the nut tightened down and add a small "witness mark" (small line straight scribed into action and barrel)to ensure the barrel is screwed in exactly the same amount each time. I never have an issue with having to re-tune the load. In fact, I record the changes in the clicks on the scopes when swapping between barrels and I usually can be within 2-3" or better at 100 yds. I use a rear entry action wrench so I don't even pull my scopes when swapping barrels.

Hodgdon has some great data for youth/reduced loads on their website. My 11 yr old is shooting a 308 with reduced loads using 125 Nosler hunting BT this year. I could probably pick up a 243 sporter take off barrel for $40-60 bucks. Uses the same boltface. I like the thought of kids using single shots.

Hope this helps, Tim