Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
The industry is rapidly evolving- as is/has been all manufacturing, for more than one reason.

The wide availability of information on the internet...
No different than anything else, from fixing your truck, to a plumbing leak, to an issue with a firearm. "Google" allows those with the required mechanical aptitude- but lack of technical knowledge- to get that knowledge and do the work themselves, subject to machinery/equipment limitations.

Increasing quality, decreasing costs of "factory" offerings...
A factory rifle with a "one moa" guarantee was a big deal not long ago. Now, it's expected from entry-level, $350 turnbolts.
CNC manufacturing, and multi-million dollar gundrilling machines have reduced costs, tightened tolerances.
No need to swap out factory barrels for most, as a matter of course to get a sub minute rifle.

IMO, the smithing "schools" are largely still teaching things the same way they were 30 years ago- which is a mistake.
The "old timer" will certainly pass along valuable knowledge- but much of the custom work is increasingly being dominated by large shops with the CNC machinery that can bring economies of scale to much "custom" work.
I agree, But I do stink still think there's a certain nostalgia factor to someone that can take a ra block of steel and hand crafted into a work of art fire arm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk