Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
I have one. The trigger is great. Action is smooth. Sporter weight barrel has good balance and decent accuracy. Cartridge is great for 400lb/ medium size game on down. (Bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 6.5mm x 54mm so some may argue it can handle most game). It's a pleasure to shoot and very mild recoil. Synthetic stock was replaced almost immediately (which was my plan from the start). It's a well proven design. Can't say I'm a great fan of the "new" Axis style magazine with plastic loop catch, but then again it seems to be working fine.

I'm having good accuracy with the 130 gr Sierra Tipped GameChanger, 140 gr Sierra MatchKing and 143 gr Hornady ELD-X. Savage was thoughtful to use a 1:8" twist for the VLD style bullets and the magazine is long enough to seat them well past the 2.800" SAAMI spec.

H4350 and Reloader 19 are great powders for reloading.
Thank you for the reply. A lot of good info and just what I was looking for. The reason I bought the Savage is that I wanted a good, accurate and inexpensive rifle to carry in the farm truck when checking the cows and pasture fences, a rifle that I didn't mind dragging in and out of the truck a few times a day.

I'll probably see how it shoots before I mess with the stock but I ended up replacing the stock on both of my Remingtons. Not sure about the included scope yet but I already have a Sightron Big Sky and Burris rings ready to go on it if needed. To start, I plan to load 120 Speer Gold Dots for it since they have been so accurate in both of my 6.8 SPC ARs. I also have about a dozen different powders, including RL19 and H4350, that's suitable for the 260 but will try RL16 first with the 120gr bullet. I look forward to see what level of accuracy it's capable of.