Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
The go or no go gage only measures from the bolt face to the datum line of the shoulder. It does not measure diameters.

If the go gage is being difficult to install because of diameters possibly being to tight then I would question that.

If the go gage goes in and stops at basically 0 headspace. That’s different from being tight on the diameter. Tight on the diameter can cause problems.

Look at a reamer print per say for 308win. Or 6BR etc...guys try and tighten up the diameter of the chamber at the .200” dimension from the case head. When you do this you can end up getting that tight bolt opening/double click per say. Guys think at times the loads are too hot but they made the chamber to tight on that diameter.

That’s why I say ask for a copy of the reamer print from the gunsmith or barrel maker that did the chamber work/install. That’s the only way your going to know technically what reamer was used and to what spec the reamer was ground/made to. Otherwise it’s a guess.

To an extent we don’t want a loose sloppy chamber but too tight causes problems as well. There has to be a balance.

One ammo maker about a year ago wanted to order special 30cal ammunition test barrels for a special run of ammo for some target shooters. I won’t give out the exact caliber. So when they called to place the order I gave them they’re options as to the reamer spec’s and bore specs of the most popular being used for that type of match shooting. They had no clue what was even being used to begin with. It took data from myself and another party and about 6 months for them to make a decision. I didn’t want to just make what they originally asked for as it could’ve caused some very serious over pressures and after they looked at the data that was given to them they understood why and helped them make a better decision.
The go gauge is tight from chamber diameters, I've measured the many times.. if it was headspace or would not go into battery at at all as clymer gauges as most I reckon dont flex.. I've actually taken ball gauges and compared them to caliper measurements and the chamber is just tighter.. its typical of match grade chambers, the hold it all to exact(or close as possible to coaxial center ) as possible.. believe me I'm by no means new to building championship grade rifles.. I'm just low key about it till now, I'm finally equipped to to do all my own machine work including bore and chamber. I have over 40 years time in learning gunsmithing and precision machining in general thank to my late great master machinist daddy

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk