Quote Originally Posted by greyling View Post
I have a pre-66 Savage I want to rebarrel. It looks to be cheaper to get a new bolt than fool with machining in the barrel to fit the old bolt.

From what I can tell, I'll need a new bolt body, a new complete bolt head, new cross pin and new firing pin. Is that all? I won't need a new front baffle or firing pin spring or any other small parts in the bolt?

It's a long action left hand bolt, so I am going to have to piece it together. Apparently nobody in the whole world sells a complete left hand long action Savage bolt. Savage sure won't.
As an aside, Savage told me their Bolts were serialized and headspaced to the barrel. they dont serialize the bolts do they?
I converted a right hand years ago with the parts you mentionef. You will need the small bolt head parts also, the extractor, extractor ball, ejector, their springs & ejector retainer pin. I can't recall seeing serialized numbers on a bolt either.
Headspacing can be accomplished on all setups so their excuse is a non-issue as far as I would guess.
There are so many inexpensive used actions available now it may be wise to consider one of them where parts availability I'd better. The pre-66 trigger is not bad & adjustable but if you ever need parts they might be impossible to find. The newer actions have aftermarket triggers available at reasonable prices.
IMHO,
Randy