As I said in My introduction, I’ve been lurking here for a while. I’ve read all of he tricks and suggestions people have posted over the years. When the question arises to make the Savage action better, I have to ask, “Better for what purpose”? I’ve worked on the old type Savage triggers and got them to work well down to 2.5#. I’ve massaged the actions and got them much smoother. But My problem is, I’ve shot a BAT action with a Bix & Andy trigger. From here on out nothing can be the same for Me. I have My Savages to the point where I have complete confidence in them, even for something like an expensive guided hunt. But I would not start a build for serious Bench Rest from the Savage platform. Cocking the Savage Rifle upsets the the barreled action too much. F class could be a different story. Those guys use those 2’ wide bipods, which resists the torque.

I think I’ve done everything that has been suggested on the site, plus some things that have been warned not to do, that people on other sites have done. Like clipping 2 1/2 coils off the firing pen spring. Fear not, when I do something like that, I have replacement parts to put back in if it doesn’t work. I’ve done the homemade bolt lift kit, smoothed and polished everything, and as I said, clipped the firing pin spring. Everything I’ve done has helped, and nothing has hurt. Something I’ve done lately is take the firing pin assembly out of the bolt, put the bolt back together, and cycle it, feeling for rough areas and parts catching. Then smooth these areas off. When You do this, You soon realize the Savage heavy bolt lift comes from the firing pin spring. And there’s only so much we can do about that. I just received an inch # torque wrench so I can start to measure the success of My efforts.

I was at a Match last fall (BR) where a shooter tied for first place shooting a Savage platform rifle. Heavily massaged of course. But His shooting style and methods were totally different from almost anyone else there.

I am open to any ideas to improve the Savage action, I don’t think I’ve tried everything. Thanks Guys ��