Quote Originally Posted by isacpotatoes View Post
Just to clarify , this new chambering would be for a target/ tactical rifle. Not a bench rest by any means, but in field with distances that change.

Maybe the 7mm-08 performance is good enough with enough velocity out of a longer barrel?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see where you mentioned the max range you're shooting.
This is THE most important variable. At a few hundred yards, it makes no difference (except maybe, if you're shooting in a hurricane) whether it's a .308 or most anything else in terms of external ballistics. For most "capable" chamberings, extend that out to about 600 yards. Your .308 is more than capable of shooting better than you can at that distance.

It's beyond 600 yards that external ballistics -drop, drift, and velocity- really start to matter as the bullets begin to slow dramatically and therefore, are much more subject to external influences.

Among others (including a .260 match chamber), my 7-08 is an absolute go-to for our current max distance available which is 600. 7mm is a great compromise round- better ballistic coefficients than the .30 cals- and better barrel life than the 6.5's. I just bought a .284 Win reamer with no-turn neck for Lapua brass which will fill the space between the 7-08 and the .338 Lapua for me. This has been a favorite long-range chambering for many years- still the most widely used chambering for Team USA F-Class; in fact, most every one of their rifles is chambered in 7mm of one flavor or another.

That should put to rest your question of "suitability" of 7mm boolits...

http://www.usfclass.com/what-we-use

As to whether the 7-08 performance is "good enough" for you- that depends on A) range to target, and B) how proficient a marksman you are - or want to be.

Don't overthink it, again- unless you're regularly shooting at 700-1000 and beyond it's not critical. It's not a hunting application so energy at target is meaningless.

As far as the .260, it's the same as the 6.5 Creedmoor you eschew (maybe can be loaded a bit hotter due to case capacity), and the 6 Creedmoor is the same as the old .243.

It's MARKETING.