Quote Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I tightened up the sling a little and brought my supporting elbow way back against my side. Pretty much just held my palm flat up and rested the rifle on it. Pretty solid. Can hit a 4 inch target at 100 yards often enough to build some confidence.... but good to keep in mind a nice spring day at the gun club shooting little clay targets is a lot different than a cold drizzle in October, you are in the brush your feet are soaked and your target is running.
That is pretty much how I shoot High Power Silhouette, just no sling as it's not permitted. It takes lots of practice to get your form down and to have trigger control. I would say to get a 3x9 scope or at least get a trigger with a lighter adjustable pull like the Rifle Basix. You can also start by moving the target closer as off the bench that rifle is capable if much tighter groups. Are you reloading for it? It doesn't hurt to make sure the stock isn't too loose or too tight. Same thing with scope screws on the bases and rings, which scope are you using?