What I’m referring to is you suggesting the Ares and stating nothing can touch it for under 2k. Are we talking touching the features or the performance. The scope does have nice features. But I wouldn’t say a used NF NXS or a used ATACR can’t touch it. Both of which I’ve seen for sale under 2k. In ELR reliable tracking is #1 with scope clarity 2nd in my opinion. With mirage and what not your lucky if you can take advantage of the clarity on the highest level. Btw my NF is a 15-55 comp. Does have the “ED” glass. Ya it’s nice. But if we’re punching steel my Sightron doesn’t lag behind by much for the price. I will add there is a noticeable difference in clarity from my Sightron to my Burris XTR II. Sightron being better. But again I’m looking to shoot a dime, not read it

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
Oh good grief! I love how the INTERWEB brings out the “Super Tacti-cool Experts of AWESOMENESS!” LOL! I am certainly not one them. I’ve never shot a long range competition or even at a dedicated 1000yd “range”. My distance shooting was across canyons and such in the Arizona desert. The old, “ok.., that rock!” But I have spent several decades collecting information & learning everything I can. Something I think everyone will agree on is it is never wrong to purchase the BEST optic you can afford. Which is best?? Well, that is a matter of preference. If you can, go top tier. Any of the known tier one choices are amazing! If I had my choice I would choose the Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56. But that will never happen. Far, far out of my price point! What I recommend is going with as many of the criteria points as you can within your price point. First & for most you want ED glass! Also, 24+ max magnification is needed for MOST of our mere mortal eyes. And having a 34mm tube & 56mm objective is nice. Within your indicated price point, there is a scope which meets all these criteria. The Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56. Can pick them up for under $1200, and I really don’t know of anything else that can match it for under $2K! Would love to have one of these, but even $1100 is pretty north of my budget. Maybe one day.