Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
I assume the OP has not fired at 1000yd or beyond before. Hopefully he has fired a heavy recoiling rifle accurately (less than 1 MOA consistently). If not that will be kind of another step.

I was in kinda the same boat. I am a decent shot. Shot 1/2MOA on a fairly regular basis at closer ranges (100-400yd). The longer range bug bit me so I decided to buy a 12BVSS in .308 so I could shoot at our 1000yd range and do some light competition. Put a Vortex PST on it.

The rifle and scope are great. But, my skills need a LOT of improvement. Going from mid to long ranges is a HUGE step in shooting skill. After a year and I am still not good at longer ranges. I need to get a lot better with trigger and recoil management, and, WINDAGE!!!!

I guess my message is, you probably need to get a decent scope and shoot at the long ranges first before thinking about 1 mile shots. If you ever get bored at 1000yd, then think about a 1 mile setup.
youre right, I’ve not shot at 1000 yds or more. I’ve gone out to ~600 yds with 300wm. I’m in no way expecting to jump straight to 1 mile shots, but will work my way up slowly while getting trigger time and playing with load development. Just trying to get a scope that’s capable of a mile when I’m ready so I hopefully don’t have to buy another one. I’m reality it’ll be years before I try a mile shot. Just trying to think ahead. I’m fully aware my skills aren’t anywhere near what they’d need to be for even 1000 yd shot, but I’m in no hurry to get there.