Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Gear View Post
I like the 30-06, and a one caliber "do-all" rifle. I'm just not sold on the idea that a wide variety of bullet weights is going to help me any. In my experience, most rifles don't like all bullet weights and even if it does, they do not all have the same POI. So it's not like I can load 220gr ammo in my rifle for elk and then switch to 100gr for coyote and expect to hit the dog at 200 yards. I'd probably miss unless I re-sight in my rifle. At which point, I would have been better off with having two different rifles. Sure, I can kill a coyote with a 220gr 30-06, but I may as well forget selling the hide. Not to mention that the recoil is quite stout for shooting small game. I guess what I'm saying is that a wide variety of bullet weights isn't as important to me as having the "correct" bullet weight. Correct meaning one that is accurate, heavy enough for the "larger" game of the intended area, and isn't going to punish my shoulder unnecessarily. I live in Washington state and JASmith has the right idea. Medium power and medium bore is about perfect for most animals in this area. Grizzly bear and moose being the exceptions but you aren't allowed to shoot those anyways (your only allowed one moose tag per person, per lifetime if you are lucky enough to draw a tag).
Well with regard to bullet weights and poi, if you handload and can find good loads that work with a variety of bullet weights, you can shoot them all and note poi groups. You can have a scope with a zero setting for one load and a hand book of adjustments required for the other loads. Quickly adjust and get back to zero for your base load fairly easily