I formed and mounted my cheek riser this morning. I borrowed a heat gun and so I was able to put pliability only where I wanted it. I made the 180 at the top and curved the sides a bit so it grips the stock.

I managed to put a flat spot in the riser where my face will land. If I said I did that on purpose, it would be an outright lie... but I think it'll work to my advantage.

Then came the point of no return: drilling the stock. I poked a couple of pilot holes and then got to work with the 1/4" (left side) and 3/8" (right side) bits. When I got some larger holes bored, I found a surprise: mini styrofoam peanuts. Thousands of them. Why in the world would Savage do that? The only reason I can think of is for sound deadening, maybe to make the stock sound solid. I've never removed the butt pad, but this makes me want to do it... over a garbage can.

Here's the riser mounted. The only thing left to do is glue the Velcro onto the right side of the riser. That's really only to help keep the stock pack in place. After that, and some adjusting, it'll be time to get to the range.

A couple of notes...

• This is the first time I've done anything with Kydex aside from wear it, and I'm just impressed with how workable it is, and how it gives a clear visual indication when it's heated enough to be formed.
  • I don't think I'm going to need star washers or any sort of spacer between the Kydex and the stock. It grips well even with the fasteners finger-tight. I'll have to shoot it before I'll know.
  • Seriously... styrofoam peanuts. I don't get it.