I have heard the lock time is between 2-3.5 ms. I have heard some gunsmiths say savage is faster and some say it is slower. I personally don't think there is much of a difference. Most of the people on some of the other sites are gun snobs and do not like the Savage because it cost less(and out shoots remingtons). Me personally I have never had any luck with the model 700 but I love the 788. I love the fact that Remington quit making a rifle that will out shoot their 700 any day of the week. The only thing wrong with the 788 was the bolt handle and you couldn't shoot hot loads. But when it comes to factory rifles and even factory custom shop rifle the 788 or savage wins. Just ignore the Gun Snobs most don't know what they are talking about and if it doesn't cost a couple of grand it cn't be any good. Just like optics I have heard them tell people not buy a scope they can afford but to save up for a year to buy a Leupold or a NF. Never mind that actually shooting the rifle is what is going to make you a better shot. Yes glass is important.
This might help.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_locktime.htm