Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
I'm using a a caldwell front rest. It does everything I need it to do and was not all that expensive.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-shooting-rest
The Caldwell rests like the one above are fine for the average shooting going to the local range or plinking around in the back yard, but they have far too much play and slop in them due to sloppy tolerances to be considered for serious precision work. I donated the one I had bought years ago to my local range and Fred went through it to "tighten it up a bit". Can't recall what all he did to it, but the difference between it and an "as delivered" one is night and day. As they say, you get what you pay for.

For a high quality, well made basic (no frills) front rest that will work for everything from your favorite hunting rifle to a full 3-inch benchrest stock look at the Sinclair All-Purpose Lightweight Rest. The only thing it doesn't have is adjustable windage. While it says lightweight in the name, it still has some heft to it - just not competition benchrest heft.

If you want one that uses a more traditional-style front bag specific to a given forend width Sinclair's offers this option.

If you want the adjustable windage the price is going to jump up $100 or more with the Sinclair Heavy Varmint Rest options.

Beyond that you're getting into the really high dollar stuff ($500+).