Typically I prefer a hand rubbed oil finish like tru oil but poly fit the bill to do the transition across the pinstripe on the old model 11 I did. Currently that stock is just sitting in my man cave as I changed that .243 over to a .308 carbine with a 16" barrel and a detachable mag synthetic stock that I cut down to a 12" length of pull added a home made adjustable cheek riser and painted. Heck I even painted the cheap black nylon sling

No telling what this little lefty model 11 might look like next, but for right now I love it as a little 36" overall length carbine.
I understand the desire to get finished and shoot it but if you leave the stock as is and work on it a little at a time it can be an ongoing project. You can probably find another one wood or synthetic if you just wanted one as a project to work on while you shoot your rifle for about $35 or so in the classifieds.
Good luck and keep us up to date on your project. As always if you need any help or suggestions there is a world of Savage knowledge and some really good tinkers here so just ask.