Thanks everyone for the advice. After sitting and staring at the stock and rifle for a while (it is -25 and snowing here) I decided to open up the channel in the fore stock to make a custom fit. Poking around in the shop I found what turned out to be the perfect tool for the job. My wife is a cabinet maker and we have fully outfitted her tool needs over the years. The drum sander had a cylinder shaped sanding attachment about 6 inches long that fit the barrel channel exactly as needed. I rigged up a mandrel so it would work in a 1/2 inch drill and went to work. The channel turned out exactly as I wanted it and I mounted the new(used) barrel/action into the stock.

I would post a picture but I do not know if I am allowed yet being a newbie. Bases, rings, scope and ammo and I can make it go Bang!

Next up is another Stevens 200 action in .243 Win to a Savage barrel in 07-08 Rem, both sporter barrels. This one currently sits in a terrible plastic stock so I will have to watch for a used stock or consider a Boyd's stock.

After that one I plan on getting a custom 250 Savage barrel made and putting it on a Savage 110 that I have in .243 Win.