Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
Just my .02 on mounting a red dot on an M4 style AR.
I know it comes down to personal preference but I tried several types of sight setups and found a red dot covers too much of the bullseye for my taste.(aimpoint comp M2 and vortex sparc). Wound up with a 1.5-4x Leupold Mark AR(less than $300) that lets me shoot with both eyes open up close on 1.5 and delivers the pinpoint accuracy further out at 4x. liked it so much I also picked up a 3-9x version when I caught it on sale for another flat top rifle. The red dots wound up riding eastern bloc modern sporting rifles and work great for pigs :)
Again just personal preference but getting 4+" groups from a rifle capable of holding MOA just didn't cut it for me.

Sorry if I'm off topic since I have no experience with the specific sights you asked about or how you intend to use it, but just wanted to share my experiences when trying to choose a sight.
Have to pay attention to dot size when shopping for Red-Dots. Most have a 4 MOA dot and thus will cover 4" at 100 yards. Some have a 2 MOA dot which is better, but still not great for precision work. There are a few that have 1 MOA dots (Leupold just announced their new Freedom RDS at SHOT which has a 1 MOA dot), but you really have to search them out and you'll pay a premium for them.

In the grand scheme of things though, you don't put a red-dot on anything if you're looking for precision accuracy at anything over 25-50 yards. They're effectively a reflex sight for quick target acquisition, not precision work. Think CQB, SHTF or dangerous game situations. As BHJ discovered, a low-power variable with illuminated reticle is a much better choice if you're wanting to do any precision work.

With the new 5x, 6x and 8x zoom scopes on the market you can get a good 1x or 1.5x on the low end for fast and close, yet still have as much as 8x on the high end for those longer precision shots. I only wish they didn't all have 24mm objectives as that doesn't bode well for low-light hunting at dusk/dawn. Amazes me someone hasn't come out with a 1-8x36mm yet.

As always, you gotta get the right tool for the job you wanna do.