The older staggered feed guns (mag box attached to action) can be removed one of two ways. The mag boxes have to metal ears or tabs that fit into shallow slots machined into the action.

The first method is to use a set of spreader pliers with one side against the back side of the recoil lug and the other against the front side of the mag box.

The second method is to use a large, blunt flat-blade screwdriver and a mallet. Place the tip of the screwdriver at the base of the front of the mag box where it intersects the action, holding it at about a 45 degree angle. Give the handle a decent whack with the mallet driving the tip into the mag box forcing it backward and allowing the retaining tab to come out of it's slot in the action.

To reinstall is just as easy using the same methods.

As for converting it to the newer center feed, the screw spacing is the same so you're good there. You'd need a stock and the bottom metal, but I'm not sure if you'd have to modify the magazine port on the bottom of the action or not. I know several here have done this very conversion so I'll let those with first hand experience expand on that.