Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Gear View Post
Not the best picture, but here are two Howa's in 6.5 Grendel and Boyd's At-One stocks. Top one has had the barrel cut down to 16 and is wearing a flash hider while it waits for the suppressor to get out of jail. The mag on the top one has been cut down to flush fit and still holds 4 rounds. The bottom one has a 20" barrel. Both of them are pillar and epoxy bedded. They also both have the DIPinc aluminum bottom metals, mag floor plates and mag release levers.

I've known guys who have tried to turn Savages into Grendels, but feeding was an issue. That Grendel case taper is odd and can be a bit of a pain. I'd get rid of the bottom one if I knew that I could build a Savage that would work just as well. Nothing wrong with the Howa, I just prefer the tang mounted safety on the Savage.

Nice looking rifles! I also cut down the magazine on my Howa. Initially, the magazines were my least favorite part of the rifle, but now that I've cut mine down and trimmed the mag release lever, I don't really think about it anymore. And that polymer mag feeds super smooth. And I've needed it because I've been surrounded by pigs a few times before where I emptied the gun in less than 5 seconds! No issues whatsoever working the Howa Grendel that fast. It's nearly as smooth and fast as my Tikka. Actually, probably faster because of the action length, and almost as smooth (but nothing is as smooth as a Tikka).

I'm converting an older Model 10 Scout in 7.62x39 to the Grendel, so everything should be compatible. I'll bend the feed lips on the mag as I need to, and see where that gets me. I will need it to feed very smoothly and reliably due to the above-mentioned scenarios which are fairly common for me these days.