Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I purchased my third 12FV from Cabela's last week. A .204R. I have a 22-250 that shoots OK, a .223 that is a stinker, and now this one.

I did the usual tweaking before I shot it: Reduced the firing pin spring pressure, polish the BAS nose and cocking piece sleeve bearing surfaces, polish the baffle ramp and bolt handle ramp, remove the Accu-blade, shim the trigger and a few other doodads.

I also cleaned all the oil from the bottom part of the action and degreased the stock anywhere the action touched. I torqued the action screws to 35 in/lbs.
    I also thoroughly cleaned the barrel before shooting it, and it took 15 patch cycles (patch soaked with Pro Shot solvent, let sit a few minutes, patch out) to get it clean. On the last cycle I ran a patch of Kroil and let it sit a few minutes and then 3 dry patches. My bore scope showed a very fine chatter all the way through the barrel.

Took it to the range on Thursday and put 25 rounds of factory Hornady Superformance 32 gr and it shot OK... around 1" groups.

I shot it today in some great (unusual) weather: 50 deg/dead calm. Edited to ad: 100 yards, concrete bench, The Rock front rest, Protektor rear bag.

I used a handload I have had decent success in my AR-204.

After 2 fouling shots, this was the first group:

2nd Group: That "?" shot felt "funny".

3rd Group:

My Chrony currently has a .30 cal hole through it so no velocities yet. (Note to self: Don't lend your Chrony out.)

I also shot a H4895 load though it but not nearly as accurate. I tried a few reduced Blue Dot loads with 32gr V-Max, but it sprayed them. My AR-204 shoots the H4895 loads and the Blue Dot loads great.

Before I shot it, I had planned on chopping the barrel to 21.5" and threading it, but I think I'll leave it be for now.

I did order a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, and tracking indicates it will be here on Wednesday. Haven't decided if I'll stick it on this one or try it on the .223.

Added: This is the FIRST 12FV that loads and extracts/ejects perfectly. A rarity I've found.
    Last edited by Tko22; 12-16-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Fixed typos and added yardage... And added some more stuff...