Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
I have the same problem. I solved it with a much lighter hold. F-Class rules require you to shoot from the shoulder but it doesn't say how firmly your cheek weld must be. My rifle is in contact with my shoulder with my right thumb behind the trigger guard and my index finger on the trigger. My left hand lightly touches the top of the stock and pushes down to fine tune my vertical aim. My cheek doesn't touch the stock at all, but my left hand, the one touching the stock, also contacts my cheek very lightly more or less as a reference point as I adjust my head position to look through the center of the scope.

Typically I set my initial aim just low of the desired POA and by pressing down I can bring the aim point up to exactly where I want it. I'm in my mid 70's with poor eyesight, but I can hold a pretty steady aim on the 600 yard spotter disk and hold on the bottom edge, 3/4 diameter, or centered, if that makes any sense. In other words, I can aim for the spotter disk in any of five desired vertical increments. A younger man could obviously do even better.

If I hold the desired aim nice and steady until the gun discharges, the bullet goes where I want it much of the time (at least as far as vertical is concerned) but if I use a poor trigger technique or try to rush the trigger squeeze........ not so much. Proper trigger technique is an important factor when it comes to small groups. You already know that and so do I, but knowing it and doing it are two different things.

Of course, I can't read the wind as accurately as I wish, but at least I'm able to hold a steady aim with a light rifle hold. If I really grip it with a strong cheek weld. my heart beat makes the aim point jump all over the place, just like yours, but I suspect my blood pressure is higher than yours, so it's even worse for me.

Try a lighter hold and see if it helps.
I am agreeing with a bunch of this!

When my Rem 788 in 22-250 with a Canjar set trigger was still cookin’ here’s my repetiore:

I use a copy of the bulls X butterfly bag under the forearm and a rabbit ear bag under the butt stock. My target is one I custom design on Excell (spreadsheet). I make a design that involves four identical black squares set equidistant from each other set in a cluster in a “square” formation. I vary the white space from each other to correspond to the thickness of the cross hairs and relative to the magnification I will use. The effect is that I want a slight amount of white showing around the hairs and the four black squares to reside in the four corners of space around the cross hair intersection point. This pattern works like a “visual” vise for me and is very effective.

I like to use as little magnification as I can get away with. SIX X is what I prefer.

Like Mozilla I like as light a touch as for cheek weld as I can get away with.

i do not touch the butt stock with my shoulder out right. You could better describe it as my jacket sort of grazes the butt plate or recoil pad. Hard kicking rounds are not adaptable to this kind of hold!

I do not grab the pistol grip. Instead I pinch the shot between my thumb and index finger. My opposite hand goes to the rabbit ear bag. The rifle is completely cradled between the front and rear rests.

Three44s