Update:

I took a frame capture of the bolt head from DrThunder88's video and measured the length of the shank and locking lugs in pixels using The Gimp computer program. Then I measured the same features of the bolt head I got from MidwayUSA. In both cases, the lugs are 30.5% of the total bolt head length so I'm pretty sure my magnum bolt head is the same as DrThunder88's bolt head. I also did pixel measurements on a photo in the Axis bolt head in the "Savage Axis Bolt Disassembly and Assembly Instructions" article and it matches my original bolt head so it's unlikely that Savage has changed anything to try to keep us from building a Maxis!

So I guess I'm good to order-up some online deals tonight.

Both ER Shaw on McGowan have 15% off deals right now. McGowan offers more custom features than Shaw, like various twist rates, whereas I'm stuck with 1:14 with ER Shaw. Shaw is less expensive but online reports seem to be just as favorable as McGowan reports, though perhaps some say the Shaw needs more break-in before the bore cleans up.

Some people recommend 1:12 for the longer 358 bullets but every stability calculator I've consulted , (including the calculator on the McGowan site) says that 1:14 is more than adequate--even for the 310 gr. Woodleighs or largest Barnes projectiles. I've learned a lot about the 358 Norma from Nathan over at ballisticstudies.com (where I also started a thread) and he turned me on to the Norma. He has a ton of experience with 35 cal. barrels. He said the lighter projectiles need to be down-loaded a bit (<2950 fps) for best accuracy with 1:12 so I'm going with 1:14. I'm hopeful that the very reasonably priced 180 gr. Speer Hot-Cor will work well on our smallish whitetails around here but I'm also hopeful that I'll get good accuracy from the heaviest bullets too. (Quickload predicts over 3300 fps with the Speer Hot-Cor and a 26" barrel! )