Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
Most aftermarket is personal preference. I've never really seen any aftermarket do anything for the price of a rifle unless someone just had to have it or it was a really nice scope. Most likely still gonna take a beating on the scope. Most of the additional money spent on a rifle is "throwaway" money spent on an individuals taste. Most buyers want rifles in factory configuration. It would probably be best to return it to it's factory configuration and sell off the aftermarket as parts seperately if you want the most return on it.

I usually value rifles by finding closed auctions on auction sites like gunbroker and check to make sure the rifle actually sold. Lots of crazy asking prices and so many of the listings are pie in the sky. Sold rifles actually tell what the market will bear in a national market.
That is exactly the way I gauge current selling prices on rifles these days.

I do have to somewhat disagree with your thoughts on aftermarket additions to a rifle. Depending on what it is, some aftermarket adds nothing to value, however if it affects the accuracy and precision of a rifle, it definitely adds value to the gun, for example a factory plastic stock vs a stiffer aftermarket stock with a bedding job that shrinks groups from 1” down to 1/2” or better groups at 100 yds.