Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
Because the loading data is for a Remington 700 with a 1in12 twist that will not stabilize bullets over 65 grains. So this leaves out the Hornady 68 bullets and above.

There is nothing wrong with the Hornady manual and its .223 and 5.56 reloading data. The data varies by the twist rate and throat length and you need to "Know Thy Rifle".

My Savage .223 has a 1in9 twist and a throat longer than my AR15 rifles.

My Ruger American Ranch Rifle is marked 5.56 NATO and has a 1in8 twist.

My AR15 A2 HBAR has a 1in9 twist.

My AR15 carbine as a 1in7 twist.

Quickload has three listings for the .223 and 5.56 and are based on the rifles twist rate and throat.

Bottom line, you will have .223 rifles with 1in 14, 1in12 and 1in9 1in8 and 1in7 twist rates and AR15 rifles with 1in9, 1in8 and 1in7 twist rates.

So find out what the twist rate for your .223/5.56 rifle and check your throat length, and then pick your appropriate load data.

Look at freebore diameter (G) and freebore length (N) below, and this is just "some" of the .223/5.56 chamber variations.

I get all of that, but in the .224 caliber f service rifles, I tend to think of NATO chambers . Therefore, I was questioning the data for use in the standard 223R chamber.. To me, it was misleading to call it "Service Rifle specific data, just because it was tested in a 9 twist vs 12 twist.. I was wondering about pressures generated from that data in my M70 which is not a service rifle and does not have a NATO chamber. They only list how fast the twist was and not if indeed tested in a military chamber.