Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
You are correct, this rifle must have a tight neck. I'm not a competition shooter, just a varmint shooter who does not like to miss. Small targets at 500 yards. My other 223 shoots 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. I think that is 1/4 MOA. I just finished pillar and glass bedding the action on the #2 rifle today in a new Boyd's Pro-Varmint stock so after it sets up for a couple of days I'm going to head to the range with more test loads. I'm looking for bug holes.

I have Lapua brass and a separate Redding FL neck sizing die set up for it and Starline brass with it's own Redding die. Both only bump the shoulders 0.0015. This issue with the peened necks was a new one for me so I thought I would share it. If nothing else I hope that reloaders will learn to try a new round in the chamber before they load up a 100 of newly sized cases. I know I sure will.
It's not a question of (must have), it either does or it dosent.
For an easy check, take a fired case (unresized) and insert a bullet tip first into it.
If it just falls into the case then its a typical factory chamber which makes neck turning just a waste of time.
Snug neck would be with very slight resistance, and tight meaning it wont go in, means a trip to a good gunsmith or turning the brass.
Id personally pick the good gunsmith route and have him make it a snug fit.