Bomber,
You didn't say whether the scope seemed to be mounted too low or too high or too far forward or backward.
Changing rings and ring height or scope mounts would be reasonable if the scope was mounted too high or too low, but it wouldn't help if it was too far forward or backward.
You can easily move the scope forward or backward with the current mounts to get the proper eye relief by loosening up the screws holding the scope to the rings.

I assume that the Axis stock is a hunting stock and may have a low comb.
That might create a different cheek rest position than a target stock and would feel uncomfortable if you were used to shooting with a higher comb.

Also, in my years as a range safety officer, I have observed that when hunters sight-in their rifles on a bench, they tend not to set up in a position similar to what they would use when in the field.
They generally hunch over and lean forward at an angle instead of being more perpendicular to the line of sight as they are when standing.
All of those things make it difficult to get a comfortable set-up and would severely change a shooter's position behind the scope.
Just some thoughts to help you figure out what might be causing your problems before you spend lots of money on changing stuff that you might not need.

You also didn't say if the problem came with the scope power set to 3X or 9X.
My grandkids had problems finding the scope image when they started on high power because the higher the power, the more you have to be in line with the center line of the optic.
Starting on the lowest power helped them get comfortable and after a while, I adjusted the power up and they had no problem.
Not saying that you are in that mode, just saying that finding the right position with a new scope can sometimes be difficult and using the lowest power might help.