So much left to do...

I swapped out the big New* Router for the 'roto-zip'. I had already made the mount for it while working on the other side of the stock, so this only took minutes...instead of an hour.

I prefer to zero the roto-zip bit while it is spinning. Somehow, as I am setting my X and Y axis to zero directly over top of a little point, I find it visually more consistent when the bit is spinning.

Touch off Z axis...load the code...and away it goes.

The setting that I have for the little bit obviously are slightly different than for the larger bits...it leaves little scallops in the surface that I don't get with the larger 1/2" round nose bit.
Still, there is no way for me to cut in those small portals without this method. Nothing some 120-grit sandpaper can't blend, right?

With that done, I have nothing left but the LAST section. The Middle of the Left Side.

I actually took a picture of this when it was set up and the bit was about to touch the wood...kinda as a moment of celebration and trepidation.

Roughing pass completed.
Finishing pass started...
I run 2 different finishing operations...
One is just X-axis parallel...back and forth over the flatter sections.
The second is a contour following operation that steps its way down along the steeper sections.

It was just after the parallel operation had started...I was prepping the code for the contour operation when I realized something didn't look right in my code.
There are enough other glitches...this one isn't major. I'm not even going to really describe it. Suffice to say that the area of the stock behind the tang will have to be 'blended'...as the right side and left side don't perfectly match.

And...
Its done.
The CNC portion of this project is done.

It is 'mostly' done.

I still have to do the inletting for the barreled action (which still isn't barreled)...
and for the bottom metal...which was only just ordered.
So much left to do...so much already done.