Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
Thanks Fred... I bet they are basing everything on an absolute 1.055" major. I hope they have not made hundreds of barrels like this. I am curious, if the actual spec is a 1 1/16" OD, I wonder why most everything I read says 1.055". Not that your website says that or anything ;-)
The Pitch Diameter is not affected by the major or minor diameter. The major and minor diameters will affect the percentage of thread engagement. A 1.0625 - 20 TPI thread will have X.xxx pitch diameter This diameter establishes a reference point to determine where the mating parts pitch diameter should be to maintain the proper thread engagement and the class fit between the threads.

If the pitch diameters are matched correctly you could remove .010 from the tops of the threads on both the male and female pieces and it would not affect the thread fit. It would affect the strength of the joint because of the reduction in engagement. If you removed .010 from the pitch diameter your Fit becomes extremely sloppy and when torqued it can shift off center. This is what happened to OP. This is also what could happen if someone trues the threads in your action and the person who makes the barrel is not aware and cuts them to fit an unmodified action. One reason people do not recut Savage action(or any other action) threads unless they are making a custom fit barrel or they only remove .001-.002".