I also have an Axis II in .223 HB. I got it cheap from Walmart cause I had heard that they were accurate. It has been. A solid MOA rifle. And the accutrigger has been nice too. When I wanted a good long range rifle I weighed the differences between an Axis project and a new rifle. Several other things besides cost were part of the consideration.

I now have a 12BVSS in .308 with a Vortex PST scope. Yes, it was more expensive, much more expensive. And, yes, the first rounds out of it included the group below (those were rounds #11, 12, 13). I expect to be able to do better than that with some load development. It was also the first time I zeroed a rifle at 200yd instead of 100yd.

Can you do the same with an Axis? Yep. Good barrel, heavier stock, good scope.

But, I do not consider the BVSS a 'walking' varmint gun. I have not weighed mine but it is probably 12lb. It is, to me, an entry level 1000yd rifle. If I only needed 4-500yd I would have stayed with the Axis.

My .223 load is 25.3gn Varget and Sierra 69 MatchKings. Good for less than 1" at 100yd if I do my part. I had a 10rnd group that was .75" Most of the time I jerk at least one round in a group. I have also used the Nosler 69BTHP and they seem good too.

After firing the BVSS I also decided to upgrade the plastic stock on the Axis so I have a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock coming.

Since you won't get much for your Axis I would say to keep it. Either keep it as is and save up for a 12, or just upgrade the Axis.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk