Well I'm not here to argue, but i will attempt to set things straight, and let others argue over it if they so choose.
There is a major misconception with regard to long range hunting.
This has always been true, and it is mainly held by those who have never actually done it or even seen it done.
But also by those that might have, but only in the particular area they hunt, or maybe for a different species, like varmits.
Also, very big differences exist between the open plains of some western states, and the rugged mountainous tree covered hills of other states.
What might be possible at one place, might not be possible at all at another without employing different tactics.
Improvised shooting positions are fine as in some types of target shooting, because everybody is bound by the same rules, and nothing gets hurt or wounded, except maybe ones pride.
Those who improve their skill level, reap the rewards for their effort, and that's as it should be in any activity.
The argument could be made that hunters should do the same as for practice, practice, practice, before they are considered qualified.
But fact is most don't, and some that claim they do, actually don't either. Fact also is that it really isn't necessary anyway, if they use their head and aren't all bound up by their own ego, by insisting upon doing things in a certain way.
And by that I'm not implying that good shooting dosent matter at all, because it obviously does, it just boils down to what works for what and how we do it.

There are actually 2 parts involved to L/R hunting. First part is the hunting or finding part, which also differs from one place to another, again mainly due to terrain.
And then there is the actual shooting part.
As for getting them out after they have been shot, there are various ways of doing that, and all require serious effort.

In the east, there is almost no possibility for any type of a spot and stalk type hunt.
At least in the areas where most L/R takes place, and again that's largely due to terrain.
Yet in many places in the west there is, and a great number of hunters do that. Also lots of walking is done there, and stopping at various places along the way to glass. So therefore they might also be forced to use an improvised position when they shoot.
Also in the east, virtually all L/R hunting is done from a lookout or vista, meaning a fixed location. Often, they are (created), with many being considerable distances from a road. Depending on the location, shooting distances could vary from a few hundred to a thousand or more yards from the same place. Some might have had benches built from gathered flat rocks, wood nailed on a stump, or possibly even a small bench that had been carried in then reassembled and stashed. Some guys even stash their guns and other equipment over night if they plan on returning the next day or maybe even everyday.
Over the years i have built quite a few portable benches, and I'm still looking for ways to improve upon them. Key things are of coarse weight and stability, but also we incorporate things that help us to stay
on the animal regardless as to what they might do following a shot.
I keep at least one in my jeep all the time which weighs in at about 20# for the bench. That bench has been carried to many places quite aways from the vehicle. We also don't mind carrying a 15 or 20# gun to those type places. Also the glasses might weigh 10 to 15# plus a tripod.
We don't share glasses, each guy has his own carried in a backpack, including kids.
If we hunted from a different location every day of the 2 week season, we couldn't cover even half of the different locations we have.
Some we haven't hunted on in years. Some are locations on power lines and natural gas pipe lines of which there are plenty in NC PA. Some can be driven to, and as stated some cant. Some you can, but most guys wont, due to respect for their vehicle.
We can also hunt right from the front yard of our camp if we so choose, and most of our practice shooting is done there.

Modern day long range hunting,( meaning dialing scopes,) started right there in that part of the country long before i got involved, and from there it has spread across the country.
Some don't appreciate being told that, but that dosent change any facts.

The hunting part, is basicly done in PA in the same manner by every long range hunter who hunts there.
That would be by using large, and sometimes even extremely large tripod mounted binoculars. Including some reconditioned WW2 very large ones, with 120mm and even larger objective lenses. Something most people have never seen, let alone looked thru and used.
Bucks in PA need to have at least 3 points on at least one side to be legal, and in some areas of the state its 4 points.
So for that reason alone, good glasses are a must.
The vast majority of the glasses used today are made up by using 2 matching spotting scopes in a machined fully adjustable bracket.
High end scopes like the 80mm Swarovskis and Kowas in pairs are very commonly used.
Even the very best hand held glasses wont cut it for serious long range glassing sessions unless their on a tripod.
The glasses are also used for spotting shots for the shooter, and that plays a very important role in keeping the whole thing in order. There really shouldn't be (any) long range hunting done without a spotter, regardless of who or how good the shooter is.
Its not at all uncommon to watch a deer get hit in a good spot and it not show any sign of being hit. Thats possible with any cartridge, but especially with lighter bullets at the longer distances. Also in a rut situation, the group of deer you've found might be constantly moving about due to being pushed by a buck. A lone shooter could very easily shoot the wrong animal in that situation without even realizing it.
Its also very possible that a bullet never arrives at the target, due to hitting branches.
Just some of the things many shooters/hunters never experience.

Is it possible some of the OPs bullets never arrived when he shot at that plate?
Whats the mid range trajectory of that cartridge at that distance?
Where there any trees near the target?
They are things that only ones having the actual experience of seeing, can make them be appreciated as being possible, and even very likely to happen when hunting.
Guns actually play a lesser roll than do the glasses. Even a rangefinder, which most think to be of primary importance, is less important than good tripod mounted glasses.

As for the shooting part, I doubt there is a single person here who dosent shoot from a bench when working up loads.
And the reason is that's how they can be the most accurate when they shoot.
Does it then not seem logical to shoot that way at live animals especially at long distances?

Ive said here before somewhat in jest, that if this were hard, then most of us couldn't do it.
But like it or not, the fact is that's true.
Many of the L/R deer killed at our N/C PA camp over a period of more than 45 years, have been taken by young kids or adults with almost zero long range shooting experience.
But of coarse it can be made to be hard also, if we so choose.

Those who prefer laying in dirt or mud, on top of rocks, on a foot of snow, and maybe looking thru some brush when they shoot, will get no argument from me if they insist on making it hard on themselves.
But they can take it to the bank, that if they happen to gut shoot a deer and it takes off running especially in trees, they will not stay on it, meaning keeping it in the scope, and they might not even find it again for a follow up shot before it leaves the area completely.
And they can pretty much count on the coyotes having it before daybreak.

Now some might realize that i pulled this post and shortened it as some of it wasent necessary to make my point.
I actually thought i had done that before posting, but for some reason i hadn't.
Its still long and for that I'm sorry, but there are things i feel that need to be said on this subject when i see a reason for doing so.