The plumb bob is an interesting idea, never tried it exactly that way. Probably get me to within .1 to .2 moa alignment, but I can't see it doing more. OK for a hunting rifle though. I've placed a plumb bob on a backstop at 100 yds, and tried to do some scope work, but with no way to clamp the stock solidly, I got nowhere.

The Wheler level, level, level is a nice marketing job, but it does less than I'm already doing by using a level across the tang and on the turret cap. Again, no reliable datum points there. Like horseshoes.....

Leveling the stock is probably just a fools errand. No way to know the relationship between the action, the action's scope mount and the stock. A level mounted to the scope tube will help keep from canting the rifle during a shot, but there is no way to know if it's also aligned with the erector. Reticle, yes with the help of a plumb bob, but not the erector.

I've tried a level across the Picatinny rail, but ring attachment is not exactly a close, repeatable fit. And as far as my using the tang as a leveling point, I have no idea if it's parallel to the top of the action where the rail mounts, or if the rail mounting threads are perpendicular to the plane of the tang. In a best case scenario it's likely there are allowable tolerances that stack adversely.

I'm sure someone has figured this all out, and probably sells his/her time dearly to anyone wanting that kind of accuracy, and I'd bet a custom action is the minimum required.

Please keep the ideas coming, you guys are a wealth of information and I appreciate the time you take to think about and respond to my questions. Your advise is always welcome and appreciated.