I just started reloading myself and for me .308 was an easy process and got to some loads very quickly using 175gr SMKs and Varget. Out of a Tikka CTR 20" barrel, I got to over 2600fps with no pressure signs and no sticky bolt or anything. I only noticed some marks at 2740fps and 45gr and that was my last load on .308 before jumping onto 6.5 which is becoming a pain in the ass but I assume that's because I'm not using what must be the holy grail of 6.5 powder in H4350. I was told by everyone to get Varget if possible and that's probably why I got great results so fast. I was only after 2600fps with 175s out of the 20" barrel. I regularly shoot to 1200yds with that gun and 175s so I was looking to stretch it to 1400yds.

Again, I just started and my first .308 powder was Varget and haven't tried anything else, didn't see the need to. Good luck but I'm sure people here will set you on the right path, they're already helping me and I've learned a lot in just a couple of days of following their advice.