Took my new-to-me 110 out today to get sighted in before deer season begins on Saturday. The good news is that rifle, 1999 vintage in .270 with no noticeable wear and tear, put the first 4 Federal Powershock 150's into a nice clover. Then the trouble began. I closed the bolt on the 5th round normally, fired, and then had a hard time rotating the bolt to extract the shell. The bolt eventually opened up with a little elbow grease and retracted, but the shell stayed in the chamber. I tapped it out using a dowel and noticed some powder marks on the rim and an indentation from what I believe was the extractor. I looked at the bolt head and everything looked to be in place.

I figured it was a random bit of bad luck so I chambered another (all of these were loaded one at a time through the blind mag) and fired. Again, the bolt was really difficult to rotate and the shell stayed in place, this time with the primer cap angled out. At that point, I put away the 150s and grabbed a 130, hoping it was just the ammo. I fired the 130 and low and behold the same thing happened (this time I lost the primer) and upon removing the bolt, I noticed my extractor was gone. I was able to find a spring and the ball bearing, but not the extractor itself.

I've attached a pic and you can see the cases from left to right (1st to 7th round shot). Is this an extractor issue or do I have a headspace problem? I bought the rifle used and, while it didn't see a lot of use, it definitely has a few rounds through it. There don't seem to be an bubba modifications or anything out of the ordinary....doesn't Savage check the headspace? At no point did I see any indications on the extractor itself that something was wrong.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Has anyone seen this before? My only mod is a new SSS Comp. Trigger which is fantastic.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

[img width=600 height=450]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/6502/img4882.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7108/img4884d.jpg[/img]