Quote Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
The first bolt pictured is the correct one for a your 1912, the second one is listed wrong and is for a 1903 or 1909 and will not work in your gun.

Your gun is an early version and takes a bolt with a slanted step on the top rear, later guns had a 90° step and the inside rear of the receiver had a 90° surface for it to contact to positively stop the bolt without putting stress on the other parts. I do not know is a later bolt would clear in your receiver and if not it might contact the angled rear of the receiver and put downward stresses on the parts. I have found four different variations of bolt for these, two different with the angled step, either should work in your gun (but both would not work in a later gun). If you find a bolt make sure it has the correct extractor, they are very hard to find and were very thin and often broke.

There are several variations of 1912's, your gun is early and has the early top cartridge guide which is just a formed sheetmetal piece that is spring tempered and moves down when the bolt is retracted to guide the bullet into the chamber, these are sometimes found broken off, on later guns it was replaced by a thicker hinged piece with a small coil spring.

As far as S, L & LR or just 22 Long Rifle the bolt would be the same - your gun would feed shorts just as well as a Model 1903 chambered in 22 short only (maybe even better with the top cartridge guide) but with a semi-auto a 22 short would not have enough power to cycle the action - your gun is set-up for 22 Long Rifle standard velocity - using modern Hi-Speed loads will damage it. The correct magazine for these will be marked as being for an "22 AUTOMATIC L. R. ONLY" - this is not because that's all that will fit & feed from the magazine, it's because that's the only cartridge the gun was designed to cycle with, a magazine for a Model 1903 marked for 22 S, L & LR will work.
This is great info thanks a lot. I think the cartridge guide is intact, and what I think is the ejector (1 in piece with a tiny spring next to where bolt would go) looks intact. I always wondered how the bolt went missing in this gun, but I guess I'll never find out.