Quote Originally Posted by Banana Juice View Post
The ol school, steel tubed, El Paso made K series Weavers are the STILL the gold standard for a hunting scope in my opinion. I would be willing to bet that more game animals have met their demise with one of these than any other. They are like the lever action 30-30 of the scope world..... simple, yet effective. They are, quite simply put, bulletproof. But, being a fixed power, they put more responsibility on the hunter to understand his bullets trajectory, as well as the limits of his own capability. Unfortunately, I've seen animals wounded because a novice hunter has spent big bucks on equipment which can give the false sense of increased long range accuracy. High dollar gear will NEVER be an acceptable substitute for practical experience. The most successful hunters I've ever known shot old rifles of known performance, topped with old fixed power scopes. Some of you guys want to argue about glass clarity, repeatable clicks, focal planes and the hottest new calibers till you're blue in the face. That's great. But I guarantee you that there's an old man within 20 miles of your house who's harvested more game with an open sight 30-30 or a Model 70 in 30.06 with a K4 Weaver than you can possibly imagine. Those results speak for themselves.

Just for the record, one of my most accurate rifles is a heavy barreled .308 Savage in the LSS chassis with a Sightron SIII FFP scope. Its great for target shooting out to 800 yards, or long range people plinking should the need ever arise. But when I hunt, it's with a 50's production FN commercial grade Mauser in .270 with an El Paso K6 Weaver. An extremely accurate and reliable combination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree with you more, and your sentiments are part of the reason I started this poll. These days it seems the vast majority of people have way too much scope on their rifles.