The .284 Winchester is a little long for a short-action IF you want to run the long, high B.C. match bullets seated out to maximize case capacity for powder. It will work fine if you mostly want to shoot typical hunting style bullets through it (140gr Partition, etc). The solid copper hunting bullets could pose a length/capacity issue as well. Most factory rifles that were chambered in .284 Winchester were built on a short action (Savage 99, Winchester 88, Winchester Model 100, etc.).

Regarding the chamber and throat length, the SAAMI spec chamber is for a hunting style bullet so it wouldn't be an issue. If it's a custom reamer throated for match bullets, that would result in a longer jump to the lands but that doesn't necessarily mean it's no good. Everyone seems to think they need to have the ogive just touching or just off the lands, but more often than not you'll find that seating the bullet well off the lands can be just as accurate. Most don't know because they've never tried.

I have a 23" long Shilen 1-9" twist #4 contour (medium sporter) in .284 Win on an Axis with a short-action magazine and don't have any problems with magazine length and 140 grain hunting bullets. I've even run some 140gr Barnes TTSX bullets through it, but being a solid they're longer and extended much further into the case than the 140gr Patition with an OAL of 2.990". At that length I'm well off the lands but it shoots 3/4 MOA at 200 yards which is more than accurate enough to kill anything I'll be shooting at with it.

Here's a photo comparing the above 140gr Partition round at 2.990" OAL in S/A and L/A centerfeed magazines. As you can see it fits fine in the S/A and has a ton of room to spare in the L/A.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01517.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	3663