Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
Ted: Target shooting and hunting are vastly different but has nothing to do with an apology needed.

After about 4 years of serious shooting I have concluded that the Savage is definitely capable of a minimum of 1/2 inch groups if you do your part (and good loads)
After that the barrel drives the results and I think with a good after market barrel you can shoot 1s and 2s.

Two of my rifles (with aftermarket barrels) will shoot an occasional 1/4 MOA. More 7/16. I had read that the best a person can hold is about 1/4.

I got a fairly new barrel in and found a load and its been shooting somewhere between 1s and 2s pretty consistently.

I think the assessments is on a non wind day I can shoot that well, the other two barrels are not quite there and I get that lucky cross over where the wobble and accuracy counter each other and its a good group.

Of course the serious competition says you have to shoot that all the time and I am far from that.

But even a 110/10 action is capable of some very good work with a good barrel, right loads, good shooter.

You get to the upper end and then the better equipment and shooter will drive to more consistent so I don't think the Savage will win national match though the Savage team is competitive up there with Savage actions and after market barrels.
Yes they are:) I love target shooting.. and that's what I am thinking of doing... building a target rifle using savage action and shilen match barrel... it looks like shilen makes a match barrel for the savage .308 I have... I still have some confusion on what stock I can match it all with... but at first estimate it looks like I should be able to build a pretty good precision rifle for around 1k...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk