As long as Savage continues to make small changes to parts year to year it's only going to get worse and worse. You're complaining about Boyds, but try getting a stock for a modern Savage from anyone else and you'll find Boyds is easily the most up-to-date in their offerings.

I wasted about an hour on the phone with McMillan today inquiring about a stock for a rifle I just ordered through Savage's Special Order Dept. They cant' do their Edge Tech fill in anything for a Savage, and while they can use graphite mat in place of fiberglass the 2-4 ounce weight savings isn't worth the $100 up-charge. On top of that, they can only inlet for a factory DBM or HFP on four of their stocks (A5, A3-5, A3 and HTG). That's fine if you're building a tactical or varmint rifle, but worthless if you're building a basic hunting rifle. All their other patterns have to be a blind mag because the shape/profile isn't compatible with Savage's bottom metal. Considering Savage has been using the newer DBM and HFP hardware for over ten years now, there's no reason they couldn't have come up with a solution to offer more stocks for them by now.

Will be calling Manners tomorrow as they're a little more up-to-date with their Savage offerings, but they also cost a fair bit more. They don't offer much detailed info on their website for the individual patterns (drop at comb, forearm width, etc) so I have no way of knowing if an EH6 or EH8 will be more to my liking.

So yeah, I wouldn't complain too much about Boyds. They might not be perfect, but they're still several steps ahead of the rest of the pack in terms of fitments and options.